Reporting to the Director for Policy & Programs, the Technical Officer will be responsible for providing technical support on matters relating to EITI implementation, the requirements in the EITI Standard, resource governance issues and assist the Policy and Programs Coordinator in drafting policy papers and other technical writing and submissions for the Secretariat.
• Provide technical support to the Director on matters relating to EITI implementation, governance issues pertaining to the extractive sector;
• Work in collaboration with the Policy and Programs Coordinator and ensure that progresses are made in implementing the EITI validation reports recommendations, EITI annual report recommendations, recommendations from MSG sanctioned scoping studies, implementation of requirements in the EITI Standard, the MSG MoU and such other activities as instructed by the Director or the Executive Director;
• Work in collaboration with the Policy and Programs Coordinator in preparing ministerial briefs, statements, speeches, press releases, talking points, presentations and updates on EITI implementation activities for the Executive Director and Chairman of PNGEITI MSG;
• Work in collaboration with the Policy and Programs Coordinator in drafting NEC policy submissions and NEC Information Papers for legislative and policy changes arising from recommendations made from the; PNGEITI annual reports; the validation reports, the scoping studies reports and similar work undertaken by external consultants and the Technical Working Groups (TWGs), Committees and sub-committees;
• Work in collaboration with the Policy and Programs Coordinator in drafting relevant sections of the PNGEITI annual country reports including Minister’s foreword, MSG Statements and undertake quality checks and editorial work on the contextual parts of the annual reports. Also, drafting the EITI section in the Volume 1 Policy document of the PNG National Budget, contributions to the ministerial briefs relating to the IMF and the World Bank annual meetings and other such events;
• Liaise closely with mining, petroleum, oil and gas industries or its peak bodies and relevant government agencies on issues relating to revenue and benefits PNG EXTRACTIVE INDUSTRIES streams and other technical issues that may affect the extractive industries; and
• Perform such other duties as instructed by the Director of the Branch or the Executive Director.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Law, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Public Policy or related fields;
• At least 3-5 years of relevant work experience in the public sector, particularly in policy formulation, public sector reforms and an understanding on the operation of the public service machinery;
• Must have computer skills (able to troubleshoot) and knowledgeable in programs such as excel, power point, MS word and other MS applications; and
• Good command of both oral and written communication skills in English.
Applications to be email to Catherine_Avaisa@treasury.gov.pg or hand delivered to the PNGEITI Office located at Waigani Treasury building level 8.
Application close on the 29th January 2024 No late application will be accepted.