Reporting to the Director for Policy & Programs, the Research Officer will be responsible for initiating research programs, plan and undertake research in various areas of interest to the Secretariat and its MSG including resource benefits distribution, disaggregating different revenue streams paid to the government, employment and salary surveys for the extractive sector and develop historical trends on data contained in the EITI reports and disseminate these for public information.
• Undertake research on specific topics of interest in the extractive sector, collect, collate and analyze data and information for the Secretariat, the MSG and the public;
• Liaise with Media and Communications Officer in keeping, maintaining and updating the PNGEITI data base and other electronic files;
• Undertake research into resources benefits distribution (State equity and benefits to landowners, provincial and local level governments) and provide comparative analysis to Director, the Executive Director and the MSG;
• Analyze published reports such as the PNGEITI Annual Reports, the Annual Activity Reports, the MSG commissioned reports and such other publications and compile statistics and develop historical trends on tax revenues and other benefit flows;
• Plan, coordinate and facilitate TWG’s work with the IRC, the Departments of; Treasury, National Planning and Monitoring, Petroleum and Energy, Finance, the PNG Customs, CEPA, Bank of PNG and other relevant departments and State entities to disaggregate different revenue streams paid to the government currently being presented in an aggregated form in the national budget books;
• Contribute to the PNGEITI quarterly newsletter production, the Annual Activity Reports, the employment, salaries and wages surveys in the extractive sector and other reports and publications as required;
• Assist in drafting the PNGEITI Work Plans as required; and
• Perform other tasks as instructed by the Director or the Executive Director
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business Studies, Statistics, or related fields;
• At least 3-5 years of relevant work experience in research, surveying and data collection, sampling and analysis;
• Good skills in research methods, analysis and technical report writing; and
• Demonstrated experience in presenting research findings in different forms such as, tables, pie charts, graphs and bar charts for illustrative purposes.
Applications to be email to Catherine_Avaisa@treasury.gov.pg or hand delivered to the PNGEITI Office located at Waigani Treasury building level 8.
Application close on the 29th January 2024 No late application will be accepted.