DUTY STATEMENT FOR DIRECTOR – POLICY & PROGRAMS
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director – Policy & Programs will be responsible for providing leadership, strategic planning, policy advice, technical and programs oversight to support the core functions of the Secretariat.
• Coordinate and manage all international development partners (IDPs)
programs, meetings, events, consultations and oversee and monitor implementation of these activities;
• Establish and maintain close relationships with EITI International Secretariat office, the Asia Pacific Regional office as well as other EITI implementing countries. This includes global conference event, regional workshops and meetings, webinars, on-line meetings (zoom, skype, Microsoft) and other engagement programs;
• Ensure implementation of EITI programs in country are consistent with the requirements and principles of the EITI Standard and in alignment with government’s policy priorities and development strategies and visions;
• Ensure the Policy and Programs Branch contribute to Secretariat’s quarterly newsletter and magazines production, the Annual Activity Reports, the work plans, industry employment surveys, researches and other reports and publications as required from time to time;
• Manage external and internal programs on PNGEITI activities and ensure policy objectives are consistent with the extractive sector. This includes
advising on EITI International activities, the EITI Standard and its Requirements as reviewed and adopted from time to time;
• Coordinate, manage and oversee the compilation, proof reading and quality checking and assurances on editorial works on the chapters in the PNGEITI annual reports, especially the contextual parts of the reports, the write up of the EITI Section in the annual national budget Economic Policy Document, Volume 1 and other reports and publications prepared by the Secretariat;
• Ensure there is effective coordination and organization of the Technical Working Groups (TWGs) meetings, the Committees or Sub-Committee meetings on various programs implemented by the Secretariat;
• Responsible for drafting and reviewing the PNGEITI Annual Work Plans and the Multi-Year Work Plans in a timely manner and to submit these plans to the TWG through the Executive Director for MSG’s consideration and approval;
• Responsible for drafting ministerial briefs, statements, speeches, press releases, talking points, power point presentations and general updates on EITI implementation activities for the Executive Director and MSG members;
• Responsible for drafting NEC Policy Submissions and Information Papers for policy and legislative reforms arising from recommendations made from the; EITI annual reports, EITI Validations Reports, MSG commissioned reports and such other activities as instructed by the Executive Director;
• Responsible for drafting Minister’s foreword, MSG Statements and other relevant sections in the annual PNGEITI reports production;
• Initiate and conduct research on topics of interest and analyse survey outcomes for dissemination to stakeholders;
• Maintain working relationship with mining and petroleum industry players or industry peak bodies and relevant government institutions on policy and technical issues related to the extractive sector;
• Attend official invitations and engagements (forums, conferences, panel discussions, etc) on behalf of the Executive Director and do presentations, deliver speeches and statements on the work of PNGEITI and its MSG;
• Responsible for conducting regular reviews and monitoring Secretariat’s work plans to ensure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are implemented as planned and produce monitoring and evaluation reports on a regular basis; and
• Perform such other duties as instructed by the Executive Director and the MSG.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Development Economics, Public Policy or Social Science or a Master’s Degree in the above fields is preferable;
• 5-10 years of work experience at executive management level;
• Some practical experience in policy analysis and public policy making process; initiating and drafting policy submissions, programming and program planning and familiar with the PNG public sector operation;
• Familiar with PNG tax laws and fiscal regime governing the extractive sector;
• Practical experiences in drafting high level ministerial briefs, statements, speeches and presentations;
• Strong public speaking and presentation skills; and
• Good report-writing and communications skills in both English and Tok Pidgin
Applications to be email to Catherine_Avaisa@treasury.gov.pg or hand delivered to the PNGEITI Office located at Waigani Treasury building level 8.
Application close on the 29th January 2024 No late application will be accepted.