Job: Technical Officer
Papua New Guinea Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PNGEITI) is an independent entity established by the Government to promote transparency and accountability in the revenue it receives from the extractive industries and how it spends these funds. PNGEITI is part of a global initiative known as the Extractive Industries Transparencies Initiative (EITI).
PNGEITI is overseen by a Multi-stakeholder Group (MSG) comprising representatives from government, extractive industry and civil society groups. The PNGEITI National Secretariat is responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the MSG in the day-to-day implementation of the policy decisions and directives of the MSG. The Secretariat is seeking to recruit a qualified and experienced person to fill the above vacant position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to the Head of National Secretariat;
- Prepare ministerial briefs, statements, speeches, press releases, talking points, presentations and updates on EITI implementation activities for the MSG Chairman and Head of Secretariat;
- Draft NEC Information Papers and Policy Submissions for legislative and policy changes arising from EITI annual report recommendations, reports from external consultants, the Technical Working Groups and sub-committees;
- Prepare high quality funding proposals and submissions for the National Secretariat to seek external funding;
- Coordinate and organize Technical Working Group (TWG) and sub committees’ meetings on various topics and subject areas as required;
- Prepare and regularly update annual PNGEITI Work Plans and MSG MoU for the Head of Secretariat and MSG’s consideration and approval;
- Draft relevant sections of the PNGEITI annual reports including Minister’s foreword and press statements, MSG Statements and quality check and editorial work on the contextual part of the reports;
- Ensure closer working relation with relevant officials from EITI International Secretariat, EITI regional offices and other EITI countries and relevant international organisations;
- Maintain a close working relation with all stakeholders including donors and development partners and other relevant organisations in the country and abroad;
- Liaise closely with mining, petroleum, oil and gas industries and relevant government institutions and agencies on issues relating to extractive revenue collection, distribution and benefits streams, and other broader policy and governance issues that may affect the extractive industries and;
- Coordinate workshops, conferences, seminars, Technical Working Group meetings/workshops as and when required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Law, Public Administration, Public Policy or such other related field;
- Must have at least 5 years of relevant work experience in the Public Sector, particularly in policy formulation, public sector reforms and must understand the public service machinery, systems and processes;
- Must have some experiences in oil, gas or mining sector and can be able to work with both government institutions, extractive companies and civil society organisations on technically complex issues that may arise in the extractive industries;
- Must have advanced skills in researching, high level report writing and good command of English;
- Must have superior computer skills (be able to troubleshoot) and knowledgeable in programs such as excel, power point, MS word and all other MS applications;
- Must be able to coordinate programs and activities with government agencies, extractive companies, and development partners and have team building and problem-solving skills.
Location, salary and condition:
- The Technical Officer will report to the Head of National Secretariat. This position is based in Port Moresby and accommodation is not a condition of employment;
- A competitive salary package will be offered based on experience and qualifications.
Applications are to include copies of CV with details of two referees and academic qualifications to:
The Head of National Secretariat
PNG Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PNGEITI)
P O Box 1907
PORT MORESBY, NCD
Electronic Applications are encouraged through the following link:
Duty Statement for this position can be downloaded: Duty Statement-Technical Officer or obtained from the Secretariat office located at the Treasury Building, Level 8, Waigani, NCD.
Applications close on the 31st of March, 2020.
Head of National Secretariat