The Papua New Guinea Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PNGEITI) is an entity established by the Government to promote transparency and accountability in the revenue it receives from the extractive industries and how it spends. PNGEITI is part of a global initiative known as the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI).
The PNGEITI is overseen by a Multi-Stakeholder Group (MSG), comprising representatives from government, civil society and the extractive industry companies. The PNGEITI National Secretariat is an administrative body responsible for the day-to-day operations and implementation of the policy decisions and directives of the MSG.
With the increase in the cope of operations, the National Secretariat is now seeking applications from suitably qualified individuals to fill the following vacant positions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to the Head of National Secretariat;
- Prepare ministerial briefs, statements, speeches, press releases, talking points, presentations and updates on EITI implementation activities for the MSG Chairman and Head of Secretariat;
- Draft NEC Information Papers and Policy Submissions for legislative and policy changes arising from EITI annual report recommendations, reports from external consultants and the Technical Working Groups and sub-committees;
- Prepare high quality funding proposals and submissions for the National Secretariat to seek funding from government, and external funding from donors and development partners;
- Coordinate and organize Technical Working Group (TWG) and sub-committees meetings on various topics and subject areas as required;
- Prepare and regularly update annual PNGEITI Work Plans and MSG MoU for the Head of Secretariat and MSG’s consideration and approval;
- Draft relevant sections of the PNGEITI annual reports including Minister’s foreword, MSG Statements and quality check and editorial work on the contextual part of the reports;
- Ensure closer working relation with relevant officials from EITI International Secretariat in Oslo, Norway, regional offices, other relevant international organisations and EITI implementing countries on a regular basis;
- Maintain a close working relation with donors and development partners and other relevant organisations in the country and abroad;
- Liaise closely with mining, petroleum, oil and gas industries and relevant government institutions and agencies on issues relating to revenue and benefits streams and other broader policy and technical issues that may affect the extractive industries;
- Plan and coordinate quarterly MSG meetings and prepare minutes of these meetings in a timely manner. Also coordinating workshops, conferences, seminars as and when required and ensure reports are produced from these events;
- Regularly monitor the National Secretariat Work Plan and ensure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are implemented as planned; and
- Perform such other duties as directed by the Head of Secretariat.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Law, Public Administration, Public Policy or such other related field;
- Must have at least 5 years of relevant work experience in the Public Sector, particularly in policy formulation, public sector reforms and must understand the public service machinery, systems and processes;
- Must have some experiences in oil, gas or mining sector and can be able to work with both government institutions, extractive companies and civil society organisations on technically complex issues that may arise in the extractive industries;
- Must have advanced skills in researching, high level report writing and good command of English
- Must have superior computer skills (able to troubleshoot) and knowledgeable in programs such as excel, power point, MS word and all other MS applications;
- Must be able to coordinate programs and activities with government agencies, extractive companies, and development partners and have team building and problem solving skills.
Location, Pay and Condition:
- These positions reports to the Head of the National Secretariat,
- These positions are based in Port Moresby, and
- Competitive salary packages will be offered based on experience and qualifications.
Written applications to be submitted with copies of recent CVs containing details of three referees and educational qualifications to:
Head of National Secretariat
PNG Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PNGEITI)
PO Box 1907
Applications can be hand delivered at the counter of the Treasury Building, Waigani Drive, or submitted electronically via the links below:
Note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interview.
Applications close on 25 February, 2023.
Head of National Secretariat