The Papua New Guinea Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PNGEITI) is an independent body established by the Government to promote transparency and accountability of revenues it receives from the mining, oil and gas sectors and how it spends. PNGEITI is part of a global best practice standard known as the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) that promotes good governance in the extractive sector.
In EITI implementing countries, companies involved in extractive natural resource wealth (oil, gas and minerals) are required to report on what they pay to the governments and governments are also required to report on what they receive from these companies in a given financial year. These financial data are then reconciled by and independent administrator and are published in the annual EITI Reports for public information. .
The PNGEITI operation is governed by an oversight body called the Multi-stakeholder Group (MSG) comprising of representatives from relevant government entities, civil society organizations and industry companies. The chair of the MSG is the Minister for Treasury. The PNGEITI National Secretariat is a small office responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the MSG by implementing the policy decisions and directives of the MSG. The National Secretariat is seeking to recruit a qualified and experienced person to fill the position as Deputy Head of Secretariat.
Required duties and responsibilities:
The Deputy Head of Secretariat will be required to support the Head of Secretariat in performing the following tasks:
• Support implementation of PNGEITI annual work plans, organise regular Multi-Stakeholder Group (MSG) meetings, lead and facilitate Technical Working Group meetings and ensure EITI report recommendations are implemented;
• Plan and organize capacity building programs for the PNGEITI National Secretariat and the MSG;
• Produce periodic reports on the activities of the PNGEITI for Government, EITI International Secretariat and the public;
• Monitor Government policies and activities which may directly or indirectly affect PNGEITI’s objectives, principles, requirements and its global best practice Standard in the extractive sector;
• Effectively define and oversee the scope of work from third parties contracted by the Secretariat to include preparation of a procurement plan for consultancies/technical specialists plus generation of summaries and assessments of their reports for the Secretariat and MSG’s use;
• Liaise regularly with EITI International Secretariat office in Oslo, Norway on EITI global matters, its requirements and Standards as it relates to the PNG context;
• Prepare policy proposals, issue papers and reports on topical issues for the National Secretariat and the MSG;
• Maintain close working relationship with development partners, donors and foreign missions on EITI implementation in the country; and
• Any other tasks assigned by the Head of Secretariat, the MSG or its Chairman.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration, or fields related to mining and petroleum;
• At least 5 years of similar work experience at management or supervisory level;
• Well developed and demonstrated coordination, team building and problem solving skills;
• Good understanding on the structure and dynamics of the PNG economy – resource projects and reforms for sustainable and broad based economic growth;
• Familiar with EITI Standard, its requirements and principles of transparency would be an advantage but not necessary; and
• Other any other acceptable criteria related to the job.
Location, pay and condition of employment:
• This position reports to the Head of National Secretariat, is based in Port Moresby and applicable to PNG citizens only.
• Competitive salary package will be offered based on experience and qualifications;
• . Accommodation is not a condition of this employment
Application is to include copies of; CV, academic transcripts and contact details of two referees to:
The Head of National Secretariat
PNG Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PNGEITI)
P O Box 1907
PORT MORESBY, NCD
Application can also be submitted electronically to: Liyasi_Taligatus@treasury.org.pg. or hand delivered to the PNGEITI National Secretariat office located on the 8th Floor of The Treasury Building, Waigani. Application closes by 4:30 pm on 4th February, 2019.
Head of National Secretariat