RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS OFFICER
The Papua New Guinea Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PNGEITI) is an independent body established by the Government to promote transparency and accountability of revenues it receives from the mining, oil and gas sectors and how it spends. PNGEITI is part of a global best practice standard known as the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) that promotes good governance in the extractive sector.
In EITI implementing countries, companies involved in extractive natural resource wealth (oil, gas and minerals) are required to report on what they pay to the governments and governments are also required to report on what they receive from these companies in a given financial year. These financial data are then reconciled by and independent administrator and are published in the annual EITI Reports for public information.
The PNGEITI operation is governed by an oversight body called the Multi-stakeholder Group (MSG) comprising of representatives from relevant government entities, civil society organizations and industry companies. The chair of the MSG is the Minister for Treasury. The PNGEITI National Secretariat is a small office responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the MSG by implementing the policy decisions and directives of the MSG. The National Secretariat is seeking to recruit a qualified person to fill the position as a Research and Analysis Officer.
Required duties and responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to the Secretariat by undertaking specific research on areas of interest in the extractive sector as directed;
- Undertake research into resources benefits distribution (State equity and benefits to landowners, provincial and local level governments) and provide analysis to the National Secretariat and the MSG;
- Analyse PNGEITI Report publications, the Annual Activity Reports and such other publications and provide statistics on tax revenue and other benefit flows;
- Contribute to quarterly newsletter production, Annual Activity Reports, employment and wages surveys and other reports and publications as required from time to time;
- Assist in drafting PNGEITI Annual Work Plan and regularly monitor the plan to ensure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are implemented as planned;
- Provide analysis on information contained in the published PNGEITI Reports including financial data on various revenue streams, production volumes and export values of extractive commodities (oil, gas, condensate, copper, gold, etc);
- Liaise with EITI International office in Oslo, Norway and provide country information and data as and when required from time to time.
- Assist in compiling PNGEITI Annual Activity Reports, proof reading and undertaking quality checks on the contextual parts of PNGEITI reports and the Newsletter;
- Assist in coordinating and organizing quarterly MSG meetings, Technical Working Group Meetings and other Committees or Sub-Committees meeting and drafting of meeting minutes; and
- Perform such other duties as directed by the Head of Secretariat or by senior Secretariat staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business Studies, Statistics, or fields related to extractive industries;
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in research and data collection and analysis would be preferred but not necessary;
- Familiar with various laws and legislations governing State equity participation in resource projects, flow of benefits streams and distributions of these to sub-national levels of governments would be an advantage; and
- Good skills in researching and technical writing.
Location, pay and condition of employment:
- This position reports to the Head of National Secretariat and is based in Port Moresby.
- A competitive salary will be offered based on experience and qualifications;
- . Accommodation is not a condition of this employment.
Application are to include copies of; CV with details of two referees and academic qualifications to:
The Head of National Secretariat
PNG Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PNGEITI)
P O Box 1907
PORT MORESBY, NCD
Application can also be submitted electronically to: Liyasi_Taligatus@treasury.org.pg or can be delivered to the PNGEITI National Secretariat office located on the 8th Floor of The Treasury Building, Waigani. Application closes by 4:30 pm on 4th February, 2019.
Head of National Secretariat